Friday, February 25, 2011

día de andalucía

This Monday is the Día de Andalucía, but since Malaga has a vacation next week (I'm headed to Istanbul tomorrow!) my school celebrated Andalusia Day today. Andalusia is Malaga's autonomous community, there are seventeen in Spain overall and I'm guessing that people are just as fiercely proud of their own autonomous community as the Malagueños are of Andalusia. Andalusia is known for its agreeable climate, various terrain and tourism as well as for its fresh seafood, olive oil, wine, sherry, jamón serrano and jamón ibérico (serrano ham and iberian ham, different varities of cured ham). Andalusia was once part of the Islamic Empire, the original name was Al-Andalus, and therefore there are still many Moorish influences and cultural attractions, particularly the Alhambra in Granada and the Great Mosque (Mezquita) in Córdoba. Andalusia is also famous for flamenco, a traditional dance that originated in the region.

Today's celebration included traditional songs, poems and music from Andalusia as well as free traditional Andalusian breakfast, un bocadillo con jamón y aceite (sandwiches with ham and oil), obviously the food was my favorite part! I wanted a second sandwich but my coordinator told me she was too embarrassed to ask for another so I didn't feel the need to either...I'm still regretting it because they were delicious. A lot of the younger students dressed up in costume, mostly traditional flamenco outfits, although one girl was dressed as Frankenstein which none of the Spanish teachers understood so I didn't even bother trying to figure out why. The five year olds (some of whom I teach!) recited a poem and sang a song, and the whole school sang the Hymn of Andalusia...I felt really out of place as the only person not singing. I did clap and take lots of pictures though, so I think that made up for it.

The 5 year olds

The whole school on the patio


CEIP Eduardo Ocón

Maria with the green and white flag of Andalusia

The girls of 2B, my favorite class

Las gitanas

The boys of 2B




No comments:

Post a Comment