Sunday, March 20, 2011

istanbul: part 3

More often than not, my favorite part of any trip is the food. I love to try new foods, I eat a lot (maybe I ate 11.5 tacos for dinner as a 10 year old...) and I'll eat anything in the world except scallops. I don't like them, I've tried, sorry. Since food is so unique to each culture I like to taste the traditional foods and understand what they mean to each community.


I didn't know what to expect before we went to Turkey. Since it's a middle-eastern country Islamic country I grouped it with other Mediterranean cuisines and guessed there would be lots of hummus, olives, grape leaves and pita. On the one hand I was right, but Turkey is also known for kebabs, köfte (grilled meatballs), and baklava, which quickly became one of my favorite desserts. The diet is a lot simpler than in Spain, consisting mainly of bread, meat and potatoes with many Greek influences. Or maybe the Turkish influenced the Greeks, I'm not sure, but their food is similar. Turkey is also known for its tea and coffee, which are served strong in short glasses. The tea was lovely, but the coffee has a grainy texture that takes a bit of getting used to. However, Istanbul (unlike Malaga) has Starbucks, so we made a few stops there for a taste of home.


I give you a week of eating in Istanbul...


Turkish desserts

Kadaif: phyllo pastry nests filled with nuts

Baklava, I love you.

Turkish coffee

A cloud of bread

Spicy red pepper dip

Red lentil soup

Turkish pizza, winner.

Street corn

Cappuccino

Lunch in Asia


Meatballs

Irmek, a Turkish dessert and our new friend!

Apple tea

Street cart pretzels

Hummus


No comments:

Post a Comment